Sunday, May 23, 2010

Now That I'm Over 50

OK, technically only a few days, but my two best friends and I start counting the upcoming year as soon as our day hits. One of the gifts I received was a book entitled "100 Things I'm Not Going To Do Now That I'm Over 50". Wonderful advise for any age, and I had to share a few things - things I already embrace.
#67 I'm not going to wake up houseguests. Especially if they're my own children. They are adults who know how to manage their own time, and I am not the Marriott.
#71 I'm not going to bargain with God. Never again. He holds us to our promises to the last syllable of recorded time. Better to just talk things over.
#74 I'm not going to avoid mentioning the dead. Grief is not assuaged by oblivion; wounds are not exacerbated by remembrance. Our immortality may be only in vigorous memories; our healing surely is.
#80 I'm not going to override the afternoon window of sleepability. I am a vision of feline sensuality, stretching languorously on a sun-warmed chaise. I am not a middle-aged woman taking a nap.
Today, right now, life is good.

2 comments:

life at mono lake said...

i keep reading this post. i love it

you are great

xxoo

life at mono lake said...

i keep reading this post. i love it

you are great

xxoo