Monday, March 15, 2010

No Pictures for This

I can't believe it's already March 15. I've been very preoccupied at school with the autistic boy that I'm 1:1 with. Let's call him X.
A typical day in an autism classroom exposes one to yelling, grabbing, and the occasional kick or punch. It can get worse. These last couple of weeks X has been in rare form (the family is going through some stressful stuff.) I've been subjected to spitting, hair pulling, pinching, kicking, and punching. After several extremely brutal days, during which time two pairs of my glasses were broken, I'd finally reached my limit and told the teacher I needed to be away from X, and she readily provided me with another student to sit with. I sat down with E ( an autistic girl) who decided to windmill her arms in my direction.
Well... after taking care of my bloody nose I had to stop and really think about continuing - not just the day, but the job! The thing about autism is that bad behavior is rarely pre-meditated, nor is it very long lasting. In fact, even after X displays behavior I would never tolerate from one of my own children, and says he hates me and wants me to leave, he'll calm down, re-group, and come to me, wanting to hold my hand and have me play with him, or help him do work. The brain is a funny thing. I thank God every day that my children, and now my grandchildren don't have to deal with this kind of hardship.
I'm staying in my job. I won't get rich there, but I do feel needed.

2 comments:

Diane said...

Bless your heart, and all others who look past the challenges these children present to give them patience and guidance. Even if they are unable to offer much in return, you are truly a blessing in their lives.

LaRee said...

Perhaps wearing a helmut would be an option?...I agree, looking past the obvious challenges your making a difference in their lives.