Sunday, March 21, 2010

Spring Is In The Air



You Know It's Spring When...
Everyone is blogging about flowers and blossoms!

After much rain, and no attention to my yard for the last 6 - 8 weeks I am ecstatic that I am finally able to spend time outside. Yardwork is very cathartic for me. And last summer I had everything the way I wanted it. Then came the Hell-puppy. I know I will survive this time, and more importantly, my yard will survive, but... I've had to work out a system of keeping Spanky (puppy's name) away from my plants.
Another indicator of Spring is that the local SuperMarket starts putting plants out for sale. Plants don't do well in the florescent lights of a grocery store, so after they start looking bad everything goes on clearance.
Just look what I got!




I have no idea what this flower is - please someone, tell me so I can look up the care of it.
It was on clearance for $1.00!


I love this corner of my flower bed. It is right in front of my door. Don gave me the Margaret Hudson piece over 25 years ago - It was supposed to be Me, Michele and Jimmy - and I've always loved it.



Last year Michele gave me a bunch of Lily plants and I threw them in this pot and forgot about them. I actually got a flower!






These bromeliads were on sale at the grocery store also. Only $8.00 a piece! If you look at the first two pictures of these you can see the new growth on the top. I'm very excited about these.


These did not come from the grocery store. My friend Andrea has a very large Japanese Maple that produces many seedlings every year. She gave me one last year that was doing very well, that is until Spanky decided to chew on it. So she gave me these two, plus 4 other smaller seedlings that I'll guard very carefully.
I love this weather!

2 comments:

Diane said...

After the harshest winter San Antonio has ever seen (4 months near 32 degrees at night) EVERYTHING in our yard that didn't die from last summer's drought is now officially dead. I am sure ready for spring!

Erica said...

I think your mystery plant may be Aster.