Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Lots of Sewing


I just finished building several costumes for Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. This is the kind of show I love sewing for because there is so much color and creativity. And it was the first time I actually got to put my new sewing room to the test. As the pin cushion got put to use I realized that this particular pin cushion has been in service for about 30 years. It started life at the costume shop and came with me after that. The picture is fuzzy, but you can kind of see that the sawdust is falling out and the "skin" is so threadbare that I'm not sure how much longer it will last. It has so much history with me, Mom, and all my sisters that I can't bare to get rid of it. I did take several minutes to squeeze and prod 9 needles from the center that had been pulled in. How many of those needles were last used by Mom?
Anyway, my next project is building a wedding dress for a friend who is getting married in February. Not as creative as show stuff since she has a specific pattern, but I'm looking forward to it.

2 comments:

Erica said...

I wonder if you could mount that pincushion in a shadow box and hang it on the wall of your sewing room?
I love "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat"! I saw that musical in San Francisco a long time ago. What creative juices must be flowing through you right now!

life at mono lake said...

i love the pin cushion. it reminds me of mom. it reminds me of you. it reminds me of a little planet and the pins are stars. or planets. remember paining those little foam planets and making a solar system for school?
man, my brain is still on vacation. i should be heading to dinner for my 815 dinner seating. i miss all the activity.
we had a great visit wish ren too.
trying to post pics. blogger keeps timeing out on me. too many posts in one night? is that possible.
anyway, loves ya sauce.
feels good to be in my own bed just the same
love mona