Friday, August 21, 2009

All Grown Up





I remember when I was 8 years old and my oldest brother went away to the University of San Diego. He seemed like a grown man - he was all of 18 years old.




Well now my baby boy is going away to college. To the University of Southern Virginia. I am so exited for him, but I can't wrap my head around the fact that he's all grown up.



He actually registered at FCC and started the semester when SVU contacted him with the offer of a fantastic scholarship. Well, that's something you don't turn down... even if it's just for the leaving town experience (of course, I told him that messing around and having his GPA drop is absolutely not acceptable).
I think he had a total of 10 days to decide if he definitely wanted to go. But, having his girlfriend attend another University that's located less than 10 miles from SVU might have factored in somewhat.
So... he's really gonna be gone. Knowing that his cell phone is on my plan will give me some perks - like telling him if he doesn't call somewhat regularly that the phone will be turned off, and knowing I can call whenever and be sure to get him. Still, I keep thinking back to my darling toddler who was such a huggy little boy. I know he'll be fine as sure as I know I'll worry about him since he's my first baby to actually leave town. I don't think I care for that part of it at all. I guess I'll just have to start a "travel" fund at the bank.

I had to snap a picture of Nick in his element - sitting at his desk

however, this is the more common view as you pass by the door to his room, and that's OK considering he wants to be a computer engineer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Saucy! I'm so proud of Nick. That's a great opportunity. Please post a picture and a link to his school.
Renee

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of Nick. This is a wonderful start into
adulthood. I know you will miss him.

Grama Peechee said...

http://svu.edu/pdf/academics/catalog-2005-2006.pdf
This address has a catalog pic of the school, and you can browse to see more. The best photos I've seen are of the on campus housing which is where Nick will be staying.