Wednesday, August 26, 2009

He's Flown the Coop (literally)

Sequel to "The Last Supper"
(see last blog)


Today Don, Desi, and I drove Nick to San Jose Int'l. Airport. It was the last thing we could do for him before he left for college - the last time we'll give any kind of hands on parenting (from here on out it'll just be advise if he asks) - and the last time he'll feel like our little boy. On the flip side of that... It's a whole world of "firsts" for Nick. First airplane trip - first time living on his own - first real away (far away) time from home - first time (in several years) that he's had such short hair!

I meant to get a step by step picture book of this monumental hair cut, but these pics should give you the general idea.

After I took this shot I realized that you can't really see how much hair there was on the floor. Seriously, you could have made a small animal out of what was swept away!

I read Michele's blog "I heart U" and felt kind of jealous. Aaron may not give her all the info she wants, but he's here to ask. And still willing to tell her - at least the things he remembers :). I look forward to hearing all about school and what Virginia is like. I'm excited to have more adult conversations with him. I know he'll make friends quickly and easily, and I hope he doesn't get too homesick.


Because of airport security we could only see him to the security gate. There wasn't even an observation area to watch arrivals and departures. So we got in our last hugs and watched him till he passed out of site into the terminal. Then we kind of waited, teary eyed, till we knew he was boarding the plane (we texted back and forth till then). We finally went back to the car for the ride home.

So my new mantra is "three and a half more months, just three and a half more months"

He'll be home for Christmas vacation before we know it - and I am serious about my "travel" fund, but I won't be able to do that before Christmas.
So, I love you Nicky, and I miss you. I know you'll do great! Can't wait to see you in three and a half months!

2 comments:

LaRee said...

Bittersweet post...cool haricut! its nice to see his eyes again...best of luck Nick!

Anonymous said...

Oh Saucy,
My heart goes out to you.
Please keep the post going on his
college adventures. We all want to
hear about his experience.

Aunt Tree