Sunday, May 10, 2009

THE FIRST ROBIN OF SPRING

While walking down Cortland Alex came upon a baby bird that had fallen out of its nest. It still has baby fuzz and is just starting to get some pin feathers. No mama bird was around trying to protect it, and one of its legs was hurt. So, Alex called me and I met her with a box full of nesting material. The first hour the bird didn't want to open it's eyes and I was scared that it was going to die any minute. But after resting from the trauma of the day it has eaten and pooped several times,and seems generally content. From the look of the beak I think it's a baby Robin. I went on line and read that veterinary offices feed baby robins moistened dog food. As they get older you can add fruit to the diet, and if I really want to get into it I could dig up some worms and feed it that. Alex took a picture, but left before downloading it for me to post. I'll put that up (plus more if the bird thrives and actually lives to be released) next post.
When I was much younger I actually raised a baby pigeon from about the same age till it flew off to be with the wild birds. The coolest thing after he was released was that a few times I would go outside to the front yard and look at the pigeons in the street (there were at least a hundred that lived in the tree across the street) and from the middle of the flock my pigeon would fly toward me and land on my outstretched hand. His name was Dodo - cause he was so ugly - but I won't name this one till I'm confident it's going to survive. So keep your fingers crossed and wish the both of us luck.

3 comments:

Erica said...

I really hope that little robin makes it.

aLi said...

happy mothers day mom! another baby to take care of! =)

Anonymous said...

Fingers crossed for the birdie!
Ren